Sunday, February 12, 2012

Etched Hurricane Candle Holder

IMG_0969

As I mentioned in my Valentine’s décor post, I am thrilled with how my hurricane candle holder etching project turned out! This was my 2nd attempt to etch glass with a vinyl stencil I’d made with my Silhouette machine. The non-Pyrex baking dish I had tried to etch as a gift barely took the etching after 8 hours of wait time, so I was hoping for better success.

IMG_0948

I used the “abstract swirl heart border” from the Silhouette online store. I needed to remove the inner part first to use the negative space for the etching. I actually just laid it sticky side up on the counter until I had adhered transfer paper to the negative space. Then I reattached to the backing to save for another project!

IMG_0950

The transfer paper holds everything in place until you can are sure you have the right spot on your desired surface. Getting the stencil straight to go around the vase was tricky! I used some clear tape to guide where I needed to lay the stencil around it.

IMG_0951

Once the stencil was in place, I used the back of my scissors to “burnish” the stencil on.

IMG_0956Next, I carefully removed the transfer paper from the vinyl stencil. There were a few times I had to reapply pieces that didn’t want to stick. Then I got to pour on the etching cream!

IMG_0957

Thankfully the cream is thick and doesn’t slide off or past the stencils! I was concerned that this might be a disaster with etching all the way around! I left it for about 30 minutes. If you’ve never used the cream before, you can use a rubber spatula and swipe it back into the jar to use again. The residue washes off easily.

IMG_0967 Remove the vinyl stencil parts and enjoy!  I’d love to answer questions about the process if you need.

IMG_0973

IMG_0965

 

sharing at

 

4 comments:

  1. QUESTION!!! Did you get the etching cream here in Portugal? Please tell me yes... I've been reading about it on a few blogs lately and have really wanted to etch the flour and sugar jars in my kitchen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get the etching cream here in Portugal???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana: Sorry, I did not buy the etching cream here. I ordered it from the Silhouette company in America. I wonder if it would be available from Amazon UK?

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...