Monday, January 11, 2010

Posting the Numbers

DIY Day @ ASPTL


I have wanted something to hang with a favorite picture on a blank wall in our living room. I remembered an old cheese box lid I'd kept. I think the box got crushed in a move.



I have wanted to incorporate the numbers/letters look somewhere--see The Shabby Nest blog for some great examples. Also, Susie Harris has a tutorial to make a names of God painting--similar in technique to what I tried, but so much more amazing! 

First I decided on a font we liked (I chose Modern No.20), and then what numbers. One of my favorite Scriptures is Psalm 126, so we thought that would be worth hanging on the wall. So I printed it out as big as I could get on one page, then cut out the numbers.



Next I had to determine where the numbers would look good. There is a crack/line in the middle of this lid, so I had to think through what part of the numbers would look OK going across it or not.



Then I taped the paper to the lid and traced inside the numbers with a pencil. You can see the traced numbers in the following picture:



Using black craft paint that I bought in America, I carefully painted the edges of each number with a tiny brush before filling in the middle with a larger brush. It reminded me of "cutting in" that we do when painting a wall near the trim. The small parts of the numbers became a little thicker than the original. It was not an easy or quick task with all the texture of the lid, but well worth the effort.  Don't look too close or you can tell it's handpainted!



It's new location in our home (along with the Tinker Toys!):



Psalm 126:2-3 Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The Lord has done great things for them." The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.

4 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...